Everyone strives for beautiful, rosy, plump and soft lips. But, there are these pesky little things everyone gets when the weather changes: chapped lips. In this post we are going to talk about essential oil for chapped lips.
Chapped lips can be excruciatingly painful and un-appealing. You may feel slightly embarrassed by your chapped lips and may not be experiencing any relief. They are brought on by two main factors which include dehydration and cold weather. Both these factors dry out your lips and cause cracking, bleeding and pain. While there are other methods and ointments out there for relief for chapped lips, such as vaseline or shea butter, nothing is quite as beneficial in multiple ways quite like essential oils. Essential oil is a great tool to help nourish and heal your chapped lips.
Why Essential Oil for Chapped Lips ?
Essential oils are also known as plant oils as they are either extracted by distillation, resin tapping, solvent extraction or steam to get the oils directly from the plant source. they don’t have any harmful ingredients and are all natural.
They are also known for their healing properties and their different aromas that help to spiritualize the skin. There are several reasons why essential oils are so great for healing chapped lips:
- Therapeutic Properties: essential oils contain many properties that help to moisturize and nourish your chapped lips. They also help to protect against further cracking and dryness. They also heal by making your lips soft and smooth while also making your lips look very plumped.
- Moisturizing: essential oils are great for locking in moisture of your lips, while also lubricating them and helping them to become soft and plump
- Healing: they are known for their healing properties, especially when it comes to wound healing and skin regeneration, which are essential to healing chapped lips, especially in severe cases. Essential oils also help to repair while they heal, which helps to prevent further pain and bleeding of chapped lips.
- Anti-inflammatory: essential oils help to reduce inflammation and can also protect from swelling and excessive pain.
- Analgesic: they also contain a lot of pain relieving properties that help in healing severely chapped and cracked lips.
Best Essential Oils for Chapped Lips
There are a few essential oils that are the best for healing chapped lips. These can either be used individually or combined together. It’s really up to you as to how you want to use them on a daily basis and what combination works the best for you and your lips.
Three of the best essential oils to use for chapped lips are:
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Melaleuca Essential Oil.
All of these have properties that help to heal, nourish and moisturize chapped lips and to help prevent severe chapped lips from developing again.
How to use:
- Combine 1-2 drops of any essential oil (either one of the three noted above, or any one you have for your liking) directly onto your lips.
- Combine 1-2 drops of melaleuca essential oil and lemon essential oil, along with ⅓ teaspoon of coconut oil and mix together. This mixture can be applied directly to the lips and used regularly replacing what you would normally use as chapstick
- Combine 2-4 drops of lemon essential oil and 2-4 drops of lavender essential oil, along with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and use as a daily moisturizer. This works wonders not only for your chapped lips,but your entire face.
* It should be noted that you can substitute any of the essential oils, you can use what essential oils work best for you and your skin.
Other essential oils to keep in mind:
Jasmine – this essential oil contains a lot of relaxing and soothing properties that aid in healing chapped lips. This is best to be put on your lips for overnight to yield the best results.
Rose Hip Seed – this essential oil increases collagen and elasticity, while also being great for protecting from weather, which is usually the root cause for chapped lips. Combine rose hip seed with coconut oil for the best results
Frankincense – this essential oil contains a lot of moisturizing properties that are excellent for your lips. It helps to heal and smooth your lips. This is most effective when combined with lavender and coconut oil and used as a daily essential oil lip balm.
Essential Oil for chapped lips works wonders. Those oils are the best natural remedy for chapped lips out there and they not only heal, but protect as well. With the newfound popularity of essential oils, you want to be cautious in purchasing your essential oils. Be sure to only buy essential oils from a trustworthy source, as you want to be able to have the best product for when you are trying to heal your skin. Make sure you have only the best essential oils and you will be able to heal those pesky dry, chapped lips in no time.
If you want to know more about Essential Oils:
The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy.